One of the most important parts in the evaluation and consultation of a person interested in having dental implants placed is a thorough review of their medical history. There are several medical issues that can have a legitimate effect on dental implant therapy. It is very important that we identify any of these concerns prior to proceeding with treatment.
Please let the doctor know if you have, have any history of, ever been told by physician, or treated for, the following conditions:
- Cardiovascular (heart) conditions (high blood pressure, previous heart attack, high cholesterol or CAD, or any other
- Bone conditions (osteoporosis, arthritis, Paget’s Disease of Bone, etc.)
- Cancer or Tumors
- History of radiation therapy (i.e. for cancer or tumors or any other condition)
- History of taking any medication for your bones known as bisphosphonates. Some of the most common of these are: Fosamax, ReClast, Boniva, Actonel, however there are others.
- Alcohol abuse
- Sleep apnea
- History of clinching or grinding
These are only a few of the most important things we are looking for. Please bring a comprehensive list of any medical conditions, event, and/or medications into your initial consultation. Please also bring in the contact information for your physicians, as we normally work in conjunction with them to ensure the safest and most predictable treatment.